Doing a great course at Leicester Writing school called Poetry Toolkit run by Alison Dunne.

Homework was to write a poem modelled on the poem What I really believe by Selima Hill from the Bloodaxe book "A little book of meat". 

This is my version:

What I really believe


I believe that aubergine
tastes better than steak;

I believe that no-one is born evil,
they become so through lack of nurture;

I believe that marriage is for life, not just for Christmas,
though Christmas is particularly hard;

that you shouldn’t judge people,
especially if you’ve not walked a mile in their shoes;

that you should over prepare,
and then go with the flow;

that children really are the future,
and nurturing them is the most important job in the world;

that if Shakespeare was alive today,
he would be script writing for Eastenders.

that the only time we have is now,
And we should be happy each day with how we’ve spent it;

that there is no God,
But we should all be kind to each other anyway;

That dogs should be kept on a lead in public places,
And if you see the fear in my face you’d realise why;

that poetry is the expression of our real selves,
jumping out from behind the sofa of our minds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short story course 2014

Starting to write