More poems from week 2 of Poetry Toolkit, based on observations in the week


Invisible Woman

The pool
Adults only, lunchtime,
Empty, quiet, no thumping soundtrack.
Muffled bangs from the gym.
Ploughing up and down an imaginary lane,
No ropes.
Suddenly a guy saunters round, slips in,
 No stairs for him,

Swims the crawl straight towards  me.
Unbelievable.
I have to veer to avoid him.

I’m invisible, seems he never even saw me.
Old woman.
Been swimming here for a decade or more.
No woman has ever done this to me.

An awful noise

In the restaurant I say
“We want a quiet table
So we can actually talk to each other”.

We get a quizzical look – two woman who want to talk,
To each other?

The noise is awful,
Too many people talking too loudly
Because they can’t hear each other,
Because the noise is awful.

Tesco

Just popped in to the big one for some crisp breads
The atmosphere is horrid.
It’s the middle of the morning on a weekday
Everyone looks harassed
Nobody’s smiling.
Kids being shouted at for wandering off, picking things up, bored,
And doing what kids do.
There’s a palpable tension
Women with lists and a mounting bill
Trying to juggle a ‘quart into a pint pot’
My mother says in my head.

I remember my first Sainsbury’s in the 1960s
The excitement of getting
Lots of different things in one place.
Food we’d never seen
Avocados, fruit or a vegetable?
There was a time when it was fun,
Now it’s just a trial
And we long for the old individual shops
Of the Ladybird ‘Going Shopping’ book.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting to write

Short story course 2014