Writing from the body

This is the first homework for a new course I'm doing at the Writing School:

SATURN RETURNS

“Whatever your age, your body is many years younger. In fact, even if you're middle aged,

most of you may be just 10 years old or less.”

So proclaimed a New York Times article in 2005. I’m sure we’ve all heard of this idea,

which arises from the fact that most of the body's tissues are under constant renewal. That

turns out to be not completely true as a few of the body's cell types endure from birth to

death without renewal, and this special minority includes some or all of the cells of the

cerebral cortex. But the average age of cells in the main body of the gut is 15.9 years, the

cells lining the stomach last only five days and red blood cells, bruised and battered after

traveling nearly 1,000 miles through the maze of the body's circulatory system, last only

120 days. An adult human liver probably has a turnover time of 300 to 500 days, and the

entire human skeleton is thought to be replaced every 10 years or so in adults. So why do

we die? Current thinking is that stem cells themselves age and become less capable of

generating progeny in the long term.

I’m not much interested in the science but the concept of impermanence is one I find more

and more helpful as I age. I have a sense of how many people I have been in my lifetime,

and how I am not them now. A terrible medical thing happened to me in 2005, which

most of my body has overcome and moved on from on, by its cells literally dying. So am I

anymore that person?

The hippies in the 70s used to talk about Saturn Returns. This is the astrological idea that

our lives are governed by planetary movements. Saturn "returns" coincide with the time it

takes the planet Saturn to make one orbit around the sun about 29.4 years. It is believed

by astrologers that, as Saturn "returns" to the degree in its orbit occupied at the time of

birth, a person crosses over a major threshold and enters the next stage of life. With the

first Saturn return, at ages 28-31, a person leaves youth behind and enters adulthood.

With the second return, ages 56-60, we reach maturity. And with the third, and usually

final, return at 84-90 years a person enters wise old age. It’s not difficult to look back at

my life and divide it successfully into these four periods and for me to feel that the person

I was in the first quarter is so different from me now in the third, that it is hard to remember

how you felt, what you believed, and what you cared about. I don’t find this a negative,

as generally I am a much happier person in this quadrant than I have ever been, but the

cell research makes me wonder if we integrate our past persons or if they do actually, like

cells, ‘die’ to us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting to write

Short story course 2014